What is the difference between Precision Stone and natural stone?
- Precision Stone is a synthetic stone cast into molds that resemble natural stone to the finest detail. Portland cement, lightweight aggregates, and mineral oxide colors are used in production to create the look and feel of natural stone. Precision Stone is lighter in weight and does not require structural footers to support it. Colors are much more consistent as a result of specialized manufacturing techniques compared to natural stone quarried out of the ground which may have much more variations.
What is the weight of Precision Stone?
- Depending on the profile, Precision Stone weighs 8-12 lbs. per square foot.
What is the depth of Precision Stone?
- Precision Stone will vary from 1.5” – 2.5” in depth, depending on the profile.
Will the Precision Stone fade over time?
- Mineral oxide colors are used in production resulting in no undesirable color change even after years of weathering.
Is the color pigment present throughout the stone?
- Each stone is colored throughout its base as well as on the outside for added accent tones.
Why does stone often appear darker than the sample board when you open a new box?
- Just like any other cement product, Precision Stone needs a certain amount of time to cure. The stone initially may appear a shade or two darker, but will lighten up as it fully cures.
Is moisture inside a box of stone normal?
- Yes, moisture is released from the stone as it cures inside the box. This does not have any adverse effect on the stone itself.
Is Precision Stone safe to use on fireplaces?
- Yes, Precision Stone can be used to cover interior and exterior fireplaces as long as they are built in accordance with the local building codes and regulations.
Can Precision Stone be used on interior and exterior walls?
- Yes, Precision Stone is suitable for use on interior and exterior applications.
Is it recommended to seal Precision Stone?
- Precision Stone is manufactured to perform without the use of any sealants. If desired, there are certain breathable sealers that can be applied to the stone for easier cleaning. If a sealer is applied, the stone color may be altered as a result.
How should I account for waste before ordering stone?
- Accounting for waste depends on who is doing the installation. Typically, a 3-5% waste factor should be considered when ordering stone.
Are there any finished projects that are available for viewing in my area?
- Yes, you may contact us either by phone or through our website to check if there are any finished projects in your area with Precision Stone.
What type of warranty does Precision Stone carry?
- Precision Stone carries a 50 year limited warranty. See the warranty section for details.
Where can I see a sample of the stone?
- Please visit your nearest dealer listed on our website.
Is drystacked application suitable for the northern climates?
- Precision Stone recommends grouting all joints, especially in harsh climates. Drystacked application is more suitable for interior jobs.
How are the square footage amounts figured per box?
- Square footage amounts per box are figured with a ½” mortar joint for Ledgestone and Ridgestone. Limestone and Fieldstone profiles are figured with a ¾“ joint.
Can Precision Stone be installed as stepping stones on a patio?
- Our products are not intended for and will not hold up to foot traffic.
Can you recommend a reputable installer in my area?
- Please give us a call at 888-985-5050.